Code Enforcement Officer
Code Enforcement plays an important role in preserving the attractive appearance of neighborhoods in the Borough of Atlantic Highlands. The mission of Code Enforcement is to provide fair and comprehensive enforcement of Borough Codes, which include junk, debris, trash, nuisance, weeds, brush and rental/leased property maintenance.
The Borough of Atlantic Highlands encourages its citizens to become community minded. You are encouraged to get to know your neighborhood and meet your neighbors. Working together we can provide and maintain safe, clean and attractive neighborhoods.
Citizens are also encouraged to cooperate with one another in a friendly manner to resolve minor concerns before contacting Code Enforcement for assistance.
If there is a violation of the Borough Ordinances, the violator is warned of the violation and given a reasonable amount of time to correct it. If the violation is not corrected, a summons can be issued, which will result in a municipal court appearance.
Ordinance 488 requires any owner or owners of every lot, tract or parcel of land fronting on any street, highway or public place in the Borough shall remove snow or ice within 24 hours after the termination of the precipitation resulting causing the same.
That the owner or owners of every lot, tract or parcel of land fronting on any street, highway or public place within the limits of the Borough of Atlantic Highlands shall, within 24 hours after the termination of a precipitation causing the sidewalk or that part of the public way reserved for pedestrian traffic in front of said lot, tract or parcel of land fronting on any street, highway or public place in said Borough to be covered with snow or ice, remove, or cause to be removed, such snow or ice. Ice which is so frozen as to make removal impractical shall either be treated with rock salt or other chemicals which will thaw it sufficiently to permit removal or be thoroughly covered with sand, ashes or cinders.
GARBAGE, RUBBISH, TRASH AND JUNK REMOVAL
- Store garbage and rubbish in leak proof, watertight containers with tight fitting lids. Plastic bags will not keep animals out of garbage and should not be used for outdoor storage
- Remove garbage and rubbish at least once a week, or as often as necessary to prevent a nuisance. The Borough provides 2 curbside trash collections per week.
- Keep sidewalks, parking areas and vacant lots clean and free of litter and garbage.
- JUNK, means any used, broken, discarded or abandoned materials. This term shall include wood, paper, glass, rags, rubber, metal, concrete or other personal property, whether of value or valueless, and which may or may not be partly or wholly assembled into motor vehicles, machinery or other useful objects of any kind. It shall also include motor vehicles, appliances and any parts thereof, which are no longer in an operable condition.
- It is unlawful to accumulate or store junk items in open air. This includes litter, trash, furniture, mattresses, appliances, wrecked or inoperative vehicles, car parts, salvage materials and any object that is normally considered useless or inoperable in its present condition
Commercial Certificate of Occupancy and Fire (pdf)
Residential Certificate of Occupancy and Fire (pdf)
Smoke Detectors - Carbon Monoxide (pdf)